The medical council of India organism a constitutional body in India was founded in 1934 under the Indian medical council act, 1933 mainly to established uniform standards of higher qualifications in medicine and to funding recognition of medical qualifications in India and abroad.
The plenty of medical colleges had increased gradually during the years after Independence. It was felt that the provisions of Indian Medical Council Act were not enough to meet with the challenges posed by the very fast development and the progress of medical education in the country.
As a result, in 1956, the previous Act was repealed and a new one was enacted. This was more modified in 1964, 1993 and 2001. The India medical council has publicized some quality standards, which requirements to be met, in order to qualify for medical practice. The members of the council keep a stable watch on the activities of medical colleges of India and calculate the certificates awarded by foreign colleges to those who want to work in India as a medicine doctor.
Indian medical council performs different important functions including maintenance of standards of medical education in India, offering permission to begin new medical colleges, some new courses, program and increasing number of seats in the colleges, recognition and de-recognition of Indian and overseas qualifications, maintenance of All India Medical Register, permanent and provisional registration of capable doctors, registration of additional qualifications etc.
Functions of Medical Council of India
The Medical Council of India (MCI) is the supreme governing and regulating governmental body in India in the sector of medical education, degrees, and researches. The medical colleges and institutions accredited by this medical council of india, are now globally prominent for offering a variety of lavish degrees at diverse levels in a truly wide-range of medical disciplines. The most important degrees among these are MBBS, MD, MS, BDS & MDS, PG Diplomas and MSc, PhD, and super-speciality degrees of DM and MCh. The Ayurvedic and Yunani medicines and therapies are also covered. Regular up-gradation of medical curriculums as per the global standards, and moving towards perfection, has been the sole ambition of india medical council.
The main, most significant and magnificent functions of the medical council of india, are the following:
- To establish, maintain, and regulate high quality of medical education in entire India at par with the global standards, at undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate levels.
- Providing right and proper accreditations to the medical colleges and institutions located in the entire country
- Giving due recognition and approval to all the medical degrees and qualifications which are granted responsibly by the Indian and Foreign medical institutes in India
- Offering registrations to and maintaining an updated register of all medical doctors and medical practitioners active in all across India
- Regular monitoring of the current status of the medical education, medical research, and medical practices in India