In India also, the distance education universities have become conspicuously prominent as conveniently and economically available source for achieving internationally commended online degrees in the desired field or subject of profession or business. Thus, for providing necessary or propelling education to students and professionals, the distance education universities of India, together help significantly as the vital complementary to the usual and traditional campus-based education at colleges and universities. Being equipped with latest distance learning technologies, both synchronous and asynchronous, has rendered these distance education universities highly creditable and popular among students, professional, and employers in almost all fields of the sectors of business and commerce, profession, industry, and service.
Top Distance Education Universities in IndiaTo cater sufficiently the ever-growing requirement of distance education courses in diverse academic and professional disciplines, there are over 200 distance education institutions established in all across the country, which comprise of Open and Distance Learning Institutes (ODLIs), Open Universities, and private online colleges and universities. Out of these about 175 are fully active and prospering fast to reach the greater number of students and professionals in forthcoming years.
The curriculum and functioning of these distance learning universities of India are refined and regulated constantly by the Distance Education Council (DEC) of India, to make these at par with the global standards. However, about 30 distance education universities of India have now attained overwhelming prominence and popularity owing to their high standard of courses, quite enriched educational curriculum, reasonable and generous fee structures, and refined teaching expertise. Among such institutes and universities, the following are the most reputed and top distance education universities india:
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), New Delhi
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Open University, Hyderabad
- Yashwantrao C. Maharashtra Open University, Nasik
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL), Pune
- IMT Distance and Open Learning Institute, Ghaziabad
- Sikkim Manipal University (SMU-DE), Manipal
- Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata
- University of Delhi, New Delhi
- Karnatak State Open University, Mysore
- Annamalai University (DoDE), Annamalai Nagar (Tamil Nadu)
- Alagappa University, Karaikudi (Tamil Nadu)
- University of Madras, Chennai