PhD in English
PhD in English Literature has always been a hugely popular program in India and abroad, especially by those who wanted to build illustrious and lavish careers in the fields of (English) literature and mass communication. A prolific phd in english prepares the candidates or professionals for pedagogical roles in academia and publishing, and many other avenues related with literature and mass communication. The lowest section mentions the most prominent career options after a phd in english in various employment avenues.
This diligently-written webpage offers the full-gamut of necessary information about phd admission in english subject/literature in India to help aspiring Indian and foreign professionals or candidates. Besides information about the eligibility requirements and phd admission procedure, some famous Indian universities for pursuing this phd program in english are also informed. In the majority of Indian universities, the PhD in English takes 3 to 5 years in general. It may also be mentioned that the PhD in English literature is the highest research-based academic degree provided by a university, and therefore, requires a master's degree in English or an M.Phil. in English literature.
PhD Admission 2021 in English Literature (Full Time/Part Time)
The admissions to the full time and part time phd courses in english are made based on the performance of a candidates both at the research entrance test and then at the personal interview, conducted by the concerned university. As far as the phd admission 2021 is concerned, these test and interview will be conducted as per the provisions and regulations provided in the new UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of Ph.D./M.Phil. Degrees) (1st Amendment) Regulations, 2018. The eligibility conditions for participating in the research entrance exam for phd in english are stipulated separately under the section just below.
At present, the following are some highly renowned indian universities offering phd in english literature under the full-time or/and part-time programs:
- University of Delhi (DU), Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi
- Panjab University (PU), Chandigarh
- Mangalayatan University, Aligarh
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
- University of Mumbai, Mumbai
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida
Eligibility/Qualification/Syllabus/Sample Papers for PhD in English
In general, the eligibility conditions/qualifications for applying for a phd in english to any Indian university are the following:
- A robust master's degree in English [MA (English)] or an equivalent degree to it, obtained from any duly recognized university or institution located in India or abroad. Again, the minimum marks in aggregate at postgraduation must be 55% for general candidates, and 50% for the candidates belonging to the reserved categories, or equivalent grades to these, for participating in the research test.
- The qualifying score in the research entrance test will be 50% for general-category candidates, and 45% for the candidates belonging to the categories of SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layers)/Differently-abled, etc. For more info in this connection, please refer to: https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/8303216_1st-Amendment---M.PhilPh.D.-Regulations.pdf
- Good academic records during graduation and postgraduation, and some literary research work in English, will be added advantages.
- The M.Phil. holders in English or the candidates who have qualified any of the following exams --- UGC (JRF) Examinations/NET/SET/SELT etc., are made exempt from participating in the research entrance test. They are given the privilege to tackle the interview directly.
The syllabus of phd program in english will be well-devised to develop and hone the linguistic research skills of the candidates, for promote constructive research and betterment in the literature of English. In addition to the core courses in English language and literature, the syllabus will cover the following ---- various topics related with research methodologies;advanced matters related with English language or literature; in-depth learning about translation; and then, preparation of the required original and in-depth dissertation. This syllabus may readily be obtained from the Internet, along with the phd english sample paper, related with the research tests conducted by the concerned universities in previous years.
PhD Admission in English for International or Foreign Students in India
All eligibility conditions and qualifications specified above for phd admission in english, hold good also for foreign/international students. Differ only the application fee and the structure of the course fees, for international students. Again, depending upon the education system or the grading of educational degrees or performance employed in their respective countries, the documents to be submitted by foreign candidates may also vary more or less. All other matters, processes, and procedure followed during the research program remain the same, with no any discriminations on any grounds.
Career Options after PhD in English
Advanced knowledge in English language and literature offers affluent and respected careers in many fields where it is pertinent. The most probable and popular employment fields among these are the following --- Colleges & Universities; Publishing Houses; Data Centers; Translation Offices; News & Media; Technical Writing in Companies; and Coaching Centers. And, their designations or positions will be the following depending upon their respective field of interest:
- Executive English/Bilingual Assistant
- English Teacher/Professor
- Philosophical Journalist
- Technical Writer
- Media Journalist